Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In Case You Missed It #1

I'm going to try something new and see how this works. I read a LOT of Cloud Computing news.  When I was speaking on a panel recently I was asked afterwards why I don't share a lot of the news I find interesting and thought provoking.  Great question and here is an initial attempt to do just that.

Below is a list of articles I found interesting over the last two weeks and some commentary on what I see going on in the industry.  I'm still not 100% on the format so let me know what you like and want to see changed.

Events & Misc. Links


Amazon News
Amazon continues to steam ahead but the last few announcements have been very interesting.  In their quest to add more value (and lock-in) to their ecosystem, a bunch of small companies with products built around their cloud were put on notice.  How does a small startup compete with AWS when they decide to move into that space?  Time will tell...

Open Compute
One big OpenStack story to focus on from yesterday, IBM going "all in" with OpenStack.  I saw this one coming a mile away.  Even though I'm now employed by one of the vendors I posted about I still contend that it depends on which vendors show up to the OpenStack Party. As an outsider looking in it appears HP is "phoning it in" (and a lot of people are leaving), while IBM and RedHat are getting serious.


VMware
Beating up VMware has become the cool thing to do.  I joked about it on Twitter but I believe the VMware's message from PEX (VMware Partner Exchange) last week sent the wrong message the same way I felt AWS sent out some bad mojo at their conference late last year.  The big guys tend to approach this as all or nothing and everyone else is the enemy (it's their job, don't blame them) but most customers I talk to don't see it this way at all.


No comments: