Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Geek Love: NetGear RangeMax WNDR3700 Wireless Router

This is the first in a few posts on some of the gadgets & products that I find crucial to my "geek life".  I have never had much luck with wireless routers.  My previous router was dropping connections, couldn't copy large files, and suffered from poor bandwidth.  You name a feature, it sucked at it.  That's what I get for picking up a $60 router at Sam's club without reading reviews.

Fast forward a few months later, I decided it was time to put down some serious money on a good quality router.  After a good bit of research I found the NetGear RangeMax WNDR3700.  Here's the one word review of the product in case you are skimming: AWESOME!


Why do I love the product so much?  I have been using it for about a month now and I haven't touched it since the day I set it up.  No reboots, no dropped connections, and super fast wireless speeds for transferring large files.  The install went very well and the product doesn't include any crapware to load on your PC during the setup.  It also features auto firmware download from the management interface, very cool feature.

What didn't I like about the product?  So far the only thing I didn't like about the product is that it includes a guest network that is wide open as part of the default install.  I disabled that feature.  I would like to use it again someday for visitors but just haven't had the time to set it up with some security.

In the future I will post an update as I play with the advanced features (QoS, NAS drive sharing, Guest Network) but if you are looking for a high quality wireless router, you won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What were your sources for reviews and purchase advices ?

Aaron Delp said...

I mainly used Amazon reviews as well as Best Buy if I remember right.

Unknown said...

Thanks.