Friday, August 21, 2009

My Latest iPhone/iPod Touch Apps

Time for an off topic post for this site... I have an iPod Touch and I'm a bit of an App Store Junkie. I have a problem, I know it, and I'm OK with it. Apple has made it WAY too easy to download the applications and the price point is low enough that the guilt factor over a bad purchase doesn't become an issue. As you will see, I'm a sucker for the older, nostalgia games.

Here is a quick list of what I've downloaded recently:
  • Frogger - Love the classic game but it was too expensive. It is on sale for .99 until this Sunday
  • SimCity - Same as above. It was too expensive but it is on sale for 2.99 right now
  • Q*Bert - I can't remember how much I paid for it but Q*Bert with updated graphics is awesome and they did a nice job with the diagonal controls
  • Space Ace - I've had this one for a long time and I still play it a lot. This is one of the old Laser Disc Arcade games from the 80's. Famous animator Don Bluth did this and Dragon's Lair (not available for the iPod/iPhone yet!). This was the first arcade game I remember that took TWO quarters and my games lasted all of about 2 minutes, if I was lucky!
  • Wikipedia - I LOVE looking things up on Wikipedia. They just released an app (open source!). I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot yet. It isn't getting the greatest reviews (2.5 stars right now) but I am hoping it will improve over time.
  • Discovery Channel - I'm using my addictions to feed my addictions... I love the discovery channel and this new app will allow you to see TV Listings and more info about everything Discovery Channel.
  • TV Guide (Web App!) - This isn't an app you download but it is very cool. Point your device's safari browser at tv.comoki.com. You can set the time zone and which channels will be displayed. This way I can only see the channels I care about instead of the 10,000 channels of crap on my cable box.
That's it for this time. Thanks for coming by!

No comments: